Seth Godin on surfing:
Surfing, the conceptual kind, is more essential than ever, it’s not optional.
And the hardest part of surfing, by far, is paddling out, not surfing in.
Carrying the board, getting back into the water, paddling through the waves, waiting for the next set…it’s exhausting, and surfers spend far more time doing this than they do on the other part.
Having the guts to surf is what change demands. And finding the stamina to paddle back out is a key part of surfing.
He’s right. Everything I’ve learned about surfing I learned from my Dad and finally getting to ride that wave after 10 minutes of paddling and waiting is pure elation.
It is easy to forget how unbelievably good the payoff can be when the journey to get there is incredibly difficult and drawn-out.
- The hard part about surfing (Seth Godin)
- Your Internet Habits Create Your Reality (zen habits) – Are you satisfied with your internet reality? I know I’m not. Right off the bat I can think of a few habits I can (and need) get rid of.
- Slack (Instant Messaging Platform) – We just launched this to all 50+ members of our team at The Bailey Group after months of testing and research. I’m excited to see how this fundamentally changes the way we all communicate as a team.
- CARROT Weather – Talking Forecast Robot (iOS App – $2.99 for a limited time) – My weather app just told me, in addition to tonight’s weather, that “I sure hope there aren’t any crazed serial killers out tonight.” I’ve never had more fun checking the weather.
- Product Hunt – Product Hunt surfaces the best new products, every day. It’s my guilty pleasure at the end of the day before I hit the sack.
- SimpliSafe – Amy and I have been on-the-hunt for a security system for our new house, but we didn’t want to get stuck in contract or pay $50 per month for monitoring. We found this solution based on a recommendation from one of my best buds. The entire system cost us less than $350 bucks and the monitoring is only $15 per month, with no contract! I’ll let you know within the next few months how it works out for us.
- Apple Watch: Guided Tour Videos – Oh boy. I know I said a few weeks ago I wasn’t sold on the Apple Watch. I might be giving in this week when it goes on sale on Friday.
- The Amazon Dash Button – Did you see this?! It’s a button with a product on it that you push when you’re ready for Amazon to send you more of whatever that product is. This is either going to be genius or a huge waste of time on Amazon’s part.
CurEight is a weekly blog series where, every Monday, I share my 8 favorite discoveries (links, books, apps, quotes, productivity methods, and on and on) from the past week.
If you found any of these resources helpful don’t forget to subscribe at the bottom of this post. That way you’ll get each edition of CurEight delivered straight to your inbox every Saturday morning.